How to get an international passport in Nigeria, If you ever plan to travel out of Nigeria, you need to get an international passport in Nigeria. Nigeria’s international passport is a vital travel document that allows you to visit countries outside Nigeria. One thing is the desire to leave Nigeria for whatever reason and the first action that makes it possible is getting your international passport.
If you ever plan to travel out of Nigeria, you need to get an international passport in Nigeria. Nigeria’s international passport is a vital travel document that allows you to visit countries outside Nigeria. One thing is the desire to leave Nigeria for whatever reason and the first action that makes it possible is getting your international passport.
This article serves as a guide to help you understand how to get an international passport in Nigeria. No matter your need for getting an international passport.
Significance of the international passport
The International passport which serves as a travel requirement is necessary. Therefore it has been registered that when you need to leave Nigeria for whatever reason you need a passport.
Besides, the Nigerian International passport is rated by the passport index as the 91st most valuable passport in the world. This is because you can tour over 30 countries without a visa or visa on arrival. This may change in the future as more countries can be added
Types of international passport in Nigeria
The International passport in Nigeria is grouped into five types;
A standard international passport is one that every Nigerian citizen can have. It is green in colour and has 32 or 64 pages. Also, the passport can be processed in passport offices across the nation and lasts for 5 or 10 years.
The official international passport is different because it is only available to the nation’s bureaucrats. The passport is blue and valid for 10 years.
The diplomatic International Passport is accessible by public officials, politicians, ambassadors and distinguished government officials in the country.
The seaman international passport is available to seafarers who are involved in sea operations.
Pilgrims International Passport
Pilgrim’s international passport is available to religious leaders who will be touring different countries as much as possible. The passport has no expiration date.
Requirements for international passport in Nigeria
The documents and other requirements for the international passport are listed below;
It has to be a recent passport photograph with a standard passport background. our passport size should be in line with the one requested on the application website, also the passport should be recent and clear.
You must provide an affidavit or age declaration or a government-issued birth certificate
As part of the ways to indicate that you are a Nigerian, born on the soil you need to provide a certificate of birth as one of the documents for an international passport. Also, an affidavit to declare your age by a Nigerian court is worthy.
- Certificate of marital status
If you are married you must produce a marriage certificate. Married or divorced, you should provide an evidenced document to be attached to your application.
- A local government identification letter
This letter guarantees that you are a Nigerian first of all and you belong to a state and local government in Nigeria by origin as well.
A legal reference/ guarantor form, duly authorised by a high court or magistrate
A letter of approval for underaged applicants is mostly provided by parents or guardians.
To renew a passport or replace a missing passport you need a criminal history report. This is to ascertain how the passport got missing and to take steps to cover for future impersonation.
Note that you are to upload the copies if requested that you have scanned to the immigration website. Then, present copies at the passport office during your interview.
Cost of an international passport in Nigeria
The cost of an international passport in Nigeria has been argued by different individuals. However, on the immigration service portal, the passport with 32 pages has been fixed at 8,750 Naira for minors and aged and 15,000 Naira for individuals from the age of 18-59 respectively.
Furthermore, the 64 paged passport is set at 20,000 Naira regardless of your age group.
The cost depends on the duration of the passport and the type of passport you need. Also, the cost depends on where you are applying from, Nigeria or overseas and how you choose to apply.
How to Pay for International Passport in Nigeria
However, to pay for the International passport, you need a master card to do this online. As of the time of this writing, this is the cost of an international passport in Nigeria. The price however may change in the future, this can happen anytime in the future.
Do you need an International passport to travel from Nigeria?
Yes you, however, you need other supporting travel documents to travel outside Nigeria. One of these is your visa, which is issued by any country you intend to visit.
Plus, Nigerians can travel to over 23 countries in the world without the need for a visa. This is termed a this-free option for Nigerians with an international passport.
Additionally, there is a visa-on-arrival option as well, which allows you to obtain a visa when you enter or arrive in a foreign country.
The option of being allowed to visit different countries without the need for a visa can be traced to Nigeria’s involvement in international unions and associations across the African continent and the world.
How to get an international passport in Nigeria
To obtain an International passport, you need to visit the Nigeria immigration website to apply online.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply for an International passport in Nigeria;
1. Visit The Immigration Website
Visit the Nigeria immigration website and click on the apply option.
2. Select The Passport Category
Select the category of visa you desire according to the validity and type available to you. Input your details which include your name, address, local government area, email and other basic biodata.
3. Upload Passport
Add a recent passport photograph to the section as required in size.
4. Make Payment
Pay your passport application fee online with a master card. Payment of the application fee is online
and with a recognized master card which is not expired. You are to pay only once and note that bank charges of about 2,000 Naira or more could be added.
5. Print Your Documents
Print out your receipt and check for a number assigned to prove your payment.
After you have paid your application fee, generate a receipt online to be printed and also make relevant copies. Also, attached to your application there will be an identification number assigned to you for further verification.
Note the date you have been scheduled for an interview
To add to the above steps, the next thing is that the date will be communicated to you when your physical interview will be. Take note and start preparing, you will be told to come with certain documents therefore adhere to instructions.
6. Print Documents
Print out the evidence that you have been acknowledged. A verification tag would be given to you, ensure you print it and keep the details on it confidential.
7. Attend the Interview and Submit Documents
Attend your passport interview with your supporting documents
Attending a passport interview is important and you have offices within your location to do so. Thus you are to keep to time and be there prepared.
Wait for the processing period to get your passport
After submission of documents and biometric capturing, you need to wait for your passport to be ready which takes 21 days or more.
Check For Updates
Keep checking the website to know if your passport is ready
On the immigration website, you are permitted to keep checking for information on your passport. You can do this by filling out the spaces that indicate your identification number and other details.
Once you receive your International passport, be careful not to lose
or damage it. A damaged passport is not useful for anything, therefore it is in your best interest to safeguard your international passport. To obtain another one in case of damage, you will pay for it.
Upon expiration, apply for a renewal
Renewal of international passports comes with a price and you can also do this online.
Duration of processing the International Passport in Nigeria
The International professing time in Nigeria is about 3 weeks to 8 weeks. This depends on the administrative duties of the immigration office and compiling of applications to be reviewed. Sometimes it could be more due to passport scarcity.
Validity of the International passport
The International passport is valid for five to ten years after which you can renew it as well upon expiration. The reason why you are mostly advised to apply for a visa with a passport that is not due to expire within six months. This is so that it doesn’t expire during your trip.
Also, in cases of lost passports, stolen passports, damage to the passport and when all the spaces in your passport are exhausted, you need to apply for a renewal.
Things to note when applying for an international passport in Nigeria
To avoid much stress, you need to know the following are important when applying for an international passport in Nigeria;
- Apply through the Nigeria immigration website alone
- Apply for a passport at least two to three months before you need to travel
- Submit all required documents- no falsifications
- Understand the category of passport applicable to you before submission
- Print all copies of receipts and notifications sent to you
- Attend your interview- very important
- Do not apply more than once to avoid errors
- Travel agencies can help with application guidelines and process, communicate as soon as possible
- Avoid Touts
Addresses of international passport offices according to major zones
The major passport offices have been listed below according to the zones nearest to your location;
Federal Capital Territory Office
Abuja Passport Office Headquarters
Nigeria Immigration Headquarters, Airport Road, Sauk, Abuja.
Abuja Passport Office 2, Old Secretariat Road, Gwagwalada, Abuja.
The Major South-East and South-South Passport Offices in Nigeria
- Akwa Ibom Passport Office, Federal Secretariat, Abak Road, Uyo.
- Anambra Passport Office, Command Headquarters, Akwa.
- Bayelsa Passport Office, Road Safety Road, Yenogoa.
- Cross River Passport Office, No. 2, Otuansa Street, Opposite Airport, Calabar.
- Delta Passport Office, Command Headquarters, Ogwashiku Road, Asaba.
- Ebonyi Passport Office, No. 2, Afor Esuna Road, Abakaliki.
- Edo Passport Office, Command Headquarters, Ikpoba Hill, Benin City.
- Enugu Passport Office, Federal Secretariat, Ogui Layout, Enugu.
- Imo Passport Office, Federal Secretariat, Onitsha Road, Owerri.
- Rivers Passport Office, Federal Secretariat, Abak Road, Port Harcourt.
Major passport offices in Northern zones in Nigeria
- Jigawa Passport Office, Old State Secretariat, Dutse.
- Kaduna Passport Office, Independence Way, Kaduna
- Kano Passport Office Farm Settlement area, Off Maiduguri Road, Kano
- Kano Passport Office 2 Amana City, Kombotso Area, Zaria Road, Kano
- Katsina Passport Office Hassan Usman Road, Katsina.
- Kebbi Passport Office, by the new Government House, Argungu Road, Birni Kebbi.
- Nasarawa Passport Office, Lafia-Makurdi Road, LGA Secretariat, Lafia-Makurdi.
- Kogi Passport Office Off Mount Patti Road, Lokoja.
- Niger Passport Office, Old State Secretariat, Minna.
- Sokoto Passport Office, Federal Secretariat Complex, Sokoto.
- Taraba Passport Office, Mile 6, Jalingo-Numan Road, Jalingo.
- Yobe Passport Office, Gashua Road, Near Federal Secretariat, Damaturu
- Zamfara Passport Office, Near Government House, Gusau.
- Kwara Passport Office, Federal Secretariat, Fate Road, Ilorin.
- Benue Passport Office, No. 6, Kashim Ibrahim Road, GRA, Makurdi.
- Borno Passport office, Off Bama Road, Maiduguri.
- Gombe Passport Office, Immigration Barracks, Bauchi Road, Gombe.
Major Passport offices in South West Zone in Nigeria
- Ekiti Passport Office, Km. 5, Afe Babalola Road, Ado-Ekiti.
- Lagos Island Office 1 Ikoyi Passport Office, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos.
- Lagos Mainland Office 2 Alausa Passport Office, Asbiffi Road, Near State Secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja.
- Lagos Mainland Office 3 Festac Passport Office, 3rd Avenue, A Close, Festac Town, Lagos.
- Ogun Passport Office, Old Party Secretariat, Near the Governor’s office, Oke Mosan, Abeokuta.
- Ogun Passport Office 2 GRA, Sagamu, Ogun State.
- Ondo Passport Office, Federal Secretariat Complex, Akure.
- Osun Passport Office, Gbongan Road, Osogbo.
- Oyo Passport Office 1 Agodi Gate Area, Agodi, Ibadan.
- Oyo Passport Office 2 Nigeria immigration service, Off Ring Road, Ibadan
- Oyo Passport Office 3 MKO Abiola Way, Oluyole, Ibadan
The Nigerian official passport has become an important document in Nigeria. A symbol of Nigeria’s pride, strength and unity.
Need a Trusted and Experienced Travel Consultant
Need A Trusted Travel Agency For Visa Application in Nigeria? Kindly contact Travelwaka